Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Grandparents

Do you have Grandparents? 
My daughter has 4 sets of Grandparents. 

She has my mom and dad.
She has Nic's mom and dad.
She has Andy's mom and step-dad.
She has Andy's dad and step-mom.

One.  Lucky.  Kid.

I only have stolen grandparents.

My dad's dad passed away a short time before my parent's wedding.
My dad's step dad passed away when I was in elementary school. It was at Christmas time.
Dolores (That's my dad's mom - an iconic woman!), well, there was husband #3.  The cutest German man.  He passed away when I was in college.  It was Christmas, too.
I think Dolores stuck around long enough to ensure I could actually secure 1 husband and passed away about a month after Nic and I got engaged. 

My mom's mom passed away when I was in high school.  Well - a few days before I started my Freshman Year.  In fact - I never went to my freshman orientation. 
My mom's dad passed away when I was in college. Freshman Year.  That was a disaster.  Daniel was a-mazing.  Amazing.

Now. None of my grandparents were around into my adult life, but when they were here, I was lucky to have pretty good relationships with them.  My dad's parents lived in Milwaukee - They were the grandparents that came to dance recitals.  Because they could.  My mom's parents lived in a teeny, tiny town in northern Wisconsin.  We spent a lot of time "up north".  Sometimes my parents would drive me up there one weekend, leave me there for a week in the summer, and then come back and get me.  Summers up north were great!

This is my life.  I haven't known to have grandparents in my adult life.
So I found myself stealing them!

The first grandparents I stole were Nic's.  Grandma and Grandpa Terrones.  They were the greatest grandparents to steal.  I love them!  Grandma T loved the Brewer's.  She had spunk.  She had character.  Unfortunately, Grandma T outlived her grandson (which should never happen), but passed away shortly after that.  We still have Grandpa T.  We just celebrated Grandpa's 93rd birthday.  He brings a smile to my face just typing about him.  He's sharp as a tack that man is!

Next I stole Andy's Grandma and Grandpa.  I know how to pick Grandparents - that's for sure.  They were another great steal!  Grandma and Grandpa Shumway still live in their own house.  Grandma can tell you exactly how she met Grandpa, what her first impression of him was and what it was like to date him.  She loves telling the story and I love listening to it.  They just celebrated their 75th wedding anniversary.  Grandpa went on the Honor Flight and we got to watch the documentary with him this summer. 

Grandpa is celebrating his 96th birthday today.  And he's in the hospital.  For 24 hours he has been in the hospital.  And I don't know what that means.  But I know he's 96.  And I know it's causing me to feel reflective on my own experiences with Grandparents.  Stolen or otherwise.  And I'm thankful that Andy's grandparents have allowed me to steal them.  And I feel like a Grandchild.  And I love like one. 

And they've welcomed Eleanor.  Not only does Eleanor have 4 sets have grandparents - she has GREAT grandparents. And that's even more amazing.  And Lucky.  To have Great Grandparents.  And Great Grandparents love Great Grandchildren.  And I love that Eleanor can bring her Great Grandparents joy (and there is a lot of love and a lot of greatness in this paragraph!)

So, tonight, say a prayer for Grandpa Shumway.  Say a prayer for your own grandparents - with us or at the proverbial "dance party".  And if you don't have grandparents, I highly encourage you to find some to steal.  Because really, we are so lucky to have them! 

No comments: