Yesterday Nic and I took our bi-weekly trip to Madison and I have to say, I had a great time!
First change - I didn't take my laptop. The last trip we went on, I tried working in between appointments. I wasn't giving Nic my full attention and I actually messed something up at work. So this time I told him, no electronics! We are making these trips because he has cancer, not for fun! And this trip was SO much more enjoyable and it actually seemed "fun". We talked, we read, we were quiet, we just enjoyed each other.
We met with his radiologist, Dr. Menesh Mehta, first. Er, should I say "ex"radiologist. Apparently, Dr. Mehta has decided to resign his position at University Hospital. He's not sure where he is going or when he'll end up there...he is going to take the summer off to figure it out. Does anyone else think this smells fishy?! But don't fear! We are still in great hands. Dr. Kuhnti actually administered Nic's first round of radiation and assisted with his second. And technically, we don't need a radiologist anymore because Nic probably won't have radiation ever again.
That appointment ended around 9:30 and his next appointment wasn't until noon! So we did something we have never done before....we drove around Madison. I had several friends that went to UW so I thought I knew my way around the city. After getting us partially lost, I realized that I didn't really remember anything. Conveniently, we got lost right by a little coffee shop/bakery. We enjoyed a cup of coffee in big oversized chairs. After coffee, we still had lots of time before our appointment, so we were going to walk around State Street. Instead we found a big Trader Joe's and decided to kill an hour there. (Our score of the day there was Sunflower Seed Butter for Eleanor! Mmmmmm!! It may not be the next peanut butter, but it'll do.)
Finally, back at UW, we went to labs and met with Ian. He, of course, didn't share with us a lot of information about Dr. Mehta's departure. We did, however, schedule Nic's MRI. July 21 is the date. Am I excited or nervous? I don't know. I either really want this day to come or I don't want it at all. As I type this all these feelings come over me...remembering the reality of our life right now. We can sit holding hands drinking coffee, but lurking in the corner is cancer. I struggle to push these thoughts out of my head, even now as I am typing. Ian said it again though...who really cares about the MRI when Nic is doing so amazingly well. Even if nothing has changed on the MRI, the radiation, Avastin and steroids are helping him. He is doing SO good. SO GOOD!!
Then it was time for our cocktail. As much as I say I want to be there for Nic...I fell asleep :) Hey, I was tired. Sitting on your behind all day, going from doctor to doctor is tiring.
So, I guess that is what we call life. Enjoying each day, no matter what the day brings. I don't love that I have to take Nic to Madison so he can get some super drug. I don't love that we are fighting cancer. But I do love that man and so...if this is the way it HAS to be...than I am going to make the most of it. I am going to enjoy each and every single moment with him...although...not this moment because he ate sardines in our basement tonight and it STINKS!!!
Even in the middle of the drama, I can still pick on him (and he still picks on me). Even in the middle of cancer treatment, we find a time to realize that life is beautiful. Life together is fun. Life together is life.
31 Easy, Funny DIY Halloween Costumes
5 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment