Yesterday we made the trek west for Nic's bi-monthly MRI. I have to say, I think this one went well. What did Dr. Robins say? I can never really keep up with everything, but here we go:
Above all else, Nic looks great. The MRI showed continued improvement. What does improvement mean? It means one of two things:
1. The residual matter on the MRI is scar tissue, it is shrinking and thus Nic is healing well.
2. The residual matter on the MRI is remaining tumor and the chemotherapy is working well.
Dr. Robins went into an explanation of a few different studies. The reason Dr. Robins switched Nic from Temador to CCNU was originally financially based. CCNU was a less expensive drug as it has been around a lot longer. CCNU is also a stronger drug. Dr. Robins has closely monitored Nic with blood counts and bone marrow counts to ensure Nic is responding well to the CCNU. Which, of course, he is. His counts really dipped late Spring and we took a longer break between cycles. However, his counts are back up (are "excellent" according to Dr. Robins) and we continue on a 4 week cycle of CCNU. The CCNU seems to be working very well at very aggressively attacking the tumor and what ever matter once showed on the MRI. CCNU has been called "old fashioned", but it seems to be working for Nic in a way the Temador did not.
However, because CCNU is so invasive, we can run the risk of developing MDS, which is a type of Leukemia. Of course, it's a very rare risk, but a risk non-the-less. Dr. Robins continues to monitor Nic very closely and thinks we will only keep up with the chemo for 12 months (as opposed to 18 months as once discussed).
Nic's bi-monthly MRIs have changed to every 3 months. We have made it past the 6-month recovery point. This is something I don't fully understand, but something about how if the tumor can stay gone for 6 months after the surgery, then we were successful! I like MRI's. I feel that if we can look into Nic's head regularly, we will catch something sooner than later. But moving to every 3 months is also a good thing and I'll take each good thing I can get.
Dr. Robins continues to be amazed by Nic's progress, as do I. The truth is, we will never be "out of the dark". We will always think, in the back of our heads, that this could return some day. But some day could be years from now. Technology will change. Treatment will change. Some day could be never.
All we can do is remain hopeful. I do believe, with all my heart, that if Nic and his support system stay positive, Nic will beat this. Nic will win. And I guess that is all I have to say about that.
31 Easy, Funny DIY Halloween Costumes
5 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment